2020 Season Cancelled due to COVID 19, News (Kincardine District Minor Soccer)

PrintNews Article
Click to view full-size image
2020 Season Cancelled due to COVID 19
Submitted By John Adams on Monday, June 1, 2020
On behalf of the Kincardine District Minor Soccer Club Executive, it is my sad duty to report that we have made the decision to cancel the 2020 Soccer season in Kincardine effective June 1st, 2020.
Your executive has not entered into this decision lightly, and while it was our heart felt intent to be able to field the beautiful game in some form this year, the Corona Virus Pandemic has cast the final word on the decision, resulting in our move to cancellation.

For the past three months the executive has been weighing options on how we would be able to play again. Those options included, but were not limited to the following: playing a shortened season once fields were reopened;  playing additional weekend games; holding a series of festivals; extending our season into October to allow for a complete season of games. As a club, we discussed each option, as well as how the timing of the lifting of field use restrictions and physical distancing protocols, and maximum number of participants would affect player schedules, practice times, and safety of our players, coaches, officials, and parents.

We contacted other clubs to find out where they were in their planning process, and learned that a number of our area counterparts had also looked at options, but health concerns being of paramount importance, they decided to cancel their seasons all together. Soccer is one of the heartbeat sports in our community, so your executive wanted to exhaust all possible options before making such a final decision, and we have now done so.

While it is true the field use restrictions have been lifted here in the municipality, they have been opened with a maximum occupancy of five per field—four players and one coach. These restrictions align well with the expectations outlined by our governing body, the Ontario Soccer Association, who have indicated that the only sanctioned soccer activities to be organized at this time are conditioning drills and activities, again with the same maximum of 5 people per field. Given our numbers, this restriction was also an indication to us that a season, even a truncated one, would not be able to proceed based on discussions with public health officials that indicate the maximum number of people participating in any outdoor events will not be raised in the near future, indicating again that proceeding with a season of play would be premature at this time.

We are now working with our associations, as well as our registration, insurance, and online registration providers to process refunds to all our members over the next 45-60 days. We also want our members to understand that while our bylaws indicate that refunds after registration are to be paid at 75% of the original amount, we are working to get that number closer to 100%, hence the delay of the 45-60 days. We are working on getting the fees refunded that have already been paid by the club in preparation for a 2020 season, and once we have final numbers calculated, the refunds will then be processed.

Thank you for your support during this pandemic experience. While we are saddened at the loss of our 2020 season, the Safety and Well being of the players, parents and officials is our paramount concern and without the ability to ensure that we have reluctantly cancelled this season. We hope you will join us in looking forward to the 2021 season.

President Stuart Killin on behalf of the KDMSC Executive

This article has been viewed 1338 times.
Team Sites
Social Networking
Follow Us On
Visit Kincardine District Minor Soccer on Facebook
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
News ArchiveOther Recent Articles
  • 26
    We wanted to update everyone on the processing of the 2020 season registration fee refunds since the season has been officially cancelled.
  • 20
    On behalf of the soccer executive, here is our update on the status of the 2020 season as of Wednesday, May 20, 2020. Today we were notified by the OSA, our governing body, that field use restrictions for sanctioned activities have changed to allow ...
  • 26
    Please complete our survey regarding the status of planning for a 2020 Soccer Season Click Here for the Survey
  • 22
    In the interests of keeping everyone informed on the current state of our 2020 season, we will be attempting to post updates on a bi-weekly basis, or sooner if circumstances change. We certainly share everyone's frustration with the situation that ...
  • 01
    As we are all aware, the pandemic that is COVID-19 has had far reaching effects beyond what anyone could have expected. Kincardine District Minor Soccer Club has been affected by these events, and I wanted to take a moment just to share with ...
  • 10
    Please note, due to a scheduling conflict, the In Person Dates for registration at the Davidson Center are now Feb. 18th and Feb. 20th from 6 to 8 PM.
  • 05
    Anyone who has been missing their indoor soccer fix, you will be glad to hear that a local group from the Lighthouse Fellowship Baptist Church has stepped forward to resume the program!!
  • 17
    Our Online registration portal is now live. Please click the link below to register 2020 ONLINE REGISTRATION
Printed from kincardinesoccer.com on Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 3:32 AM